Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Man's Best Friend


She yaps at me every day to go for a walk with her. Then she scampers all over everyone’s yard inspecting their new shrubs and things while I holler for her to come back before we get into trouble with the neighbors. At least this ritual ensures that I get my daily exercise. She’s not always nuts about me watching television but she will sometimes reconcile and flop partially across my lap to be stroked. She’s very protective of my children and grandchildren although she gets restless in the car when we drive to visit them; we sometimes have to stop for exercise breaks and it’s hard to round her up again. She’s a good early warning alert because her acute hearing and sense of smell pick up anything unusual long before I can detect it. My friends all adore her. Most heartwarming of all, she is very loyal and comes bounding to greet me when I return from a trip. Yep…though I sometimes complain about her, I really really love my wife.

2 comments:

Carolina Conde said...

I should have seen it coming, but I didn't. You got me, Johnny boy. Good one. Tell your best friend I say hi :)
xo

James Douglass said...

I've often seen this done the other way around, where the author describes the qualities of a good friend then surprises the reader at the end by revealing that the "friend" is actually a dog. Your way is a lot funnier, although there migth be some people who wouldn't like being compared to a dog. :)